Saturday, January 4, 2020

hope smiles from the threshold

The sky pressed down on us, the grey merging with the dingy snow. It’s a familiar sight as it seems the sun was left behind in 2019, although there was a faint glowing circle low in the sky where the sun might have been.

I ventured out a few times, dogs leaping ahead of me, seemingly unaffected by the gloom. It started snowing which might be considered pretty if my eyes hadn’t been dulled by the malaise that comes from a lack of sunlight. At least it covered the slick ice…


With music thumping I got busy and removed Christmas from the house. Not winter, I leave the little trees with their bright led lights, and the green sweeping garlands out until March. The sparkling lights lift my spirits and the green is a nice foil against the grey. 


Then I played with Adia a bit, thinking that mental exercise would substitute for some of the physical exercise that has been missing. It seems to have worked as she was quiet for much of the day. Spike joined where he could without her stomping over him. 

Much of the rest of the day I savoured some short stories by Alice Munroe. I wouldn’t say that her stories are uplifting, because they aren’t… they are actually a bit depressing, but she has such a way of phrasing things. I read bits over and over, vainly hoping that some of it will rub off.

Last night in keeping with my goal of good mental health, Jo Ellen, Don, and Romy came for supper. The dogs are starting to get along better - I think we just need to let them work it out themselves, (keeping them safe of course). Still, by the end of the night we had three sleeping dogs ignoring each other. 

On this day last year we were in LA, a few days before getting on our cruise to the Panama Canal.


Hope
Smiles from the threshold of the year to come,
Whispering 'it will be happier'...”
~Alfred Lord Tennyson

No comments: