Thursday, January 9, 2020

i don't need no education

Yesterday, before I even opened my eyes, I could tell it wasn’t going to be a good day. I felt awful - it only took a few minutes to realize it was precisely the feeling I get when I forget to take my meds at bedtime. Oh bother, but at least I knew what the problem was. I dragged myself out of bed and stumbled to the kitchen so I could take the offending pills.

When I take them the next morning it takes about an hour before I stop feeling like I have the worst hangover, and then a few more hours before I stop feeling like a zombie, so I headed directly back to bed and crashed for another three hours. I still felt a little wonky when I got up - a nasty reminder that my meds have a sedating effect - I’m used to it normally as the worst is felt when I’m asleep… but yesterday I had to struggle all day.


It was with no great excitement that I got Adia into the car for the drive into the city for her class. I’m a nervous passenger at the best of times, but with the blowing snow there was ice across some of the road… and it was cold… and my head was still a little fuzzy. Thankfully, my hero Carm had agreed to drive me. I knew he’d get us there and back safely so tried to keep my mouth shut and not let my nervousness show.

Class was fun, although I will admit to not being the brightest student in the class. Still, Adia did well and we didn’t shame ourselves. We’ve already practiced a bit - Spike had to get in the thick of things to show Adia how much he knows -  she’s just a young whippersnapper! He’s not been getting up to eat breakfast lately so he’s pretty hungry later in the day and eager to earn treats.

I almost drove Carm out of the house this morning with cooking chicken hearts. I figured I needed higher value treats for school and since I have a bunch of chicken hearts… I chopped  them up and ‘waved them before sticking them in the dehydrator. Yeah, it stunk a bit, but you’d think by the way he went on about it that I was making the liver/tripe/fish treats that’d I’d done in the dehydrator years ago! At the time I didn’t smell anything - I had a bad cold - but I guess it was horrible. The dehydrator was relegated to the garage for the rest of that experiment.

I think Adia had high hopes when we loaded her in the car this afternoon and was aghast when she saw that we were at the nail clipping place! She shook like a leaf, but was a pretty good girl for Katie. When we got home we pinned Spike to the floor and nipped his nails too… It’s a hard life for a dog.


In the middle of the night last night I lay awake wondering what food we’d need in the house if a nuclear missile was shot down above us and there’d be some sort of short nuclear winter. In my grim fantasy we’d have enough time (and no one else would clog the roads) to get to the dog food place, freshco for pasta and pasta sauce, and Costco for a bunch of bags of rice. Oh, and we would have time to make sure our propane tank was topped up. Strange midnight delusions.


There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state with another, nothing more. He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die, Morrel, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of life.
" Live, then, and be happy, beloved children of my heart, and never forget, that until the day God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words, 'Wait and Hope.”
~Alexandre Dumas

No comments: