Wednesday, January 22, 2020

in my heart

The mercury has risen to 0 but it’s a bit windy out so I’ve still been wearing my huge down coat with its built in hood. I remember the days when nary a hat would mess my hair, but alas, I’ve turned into a wimp and now shiver at the slightest cool breeze. 

I received the silicon baggies that I’d ordered - they are a bit bigger than I’d hoped so don’t comfortably fit in my pocket. I’ve jammed two in though, one with slightly dried hearts and hotdogs, the other with dried liver (the stuff from Costco that every dog loves). Thus armed I headed outside for some recall practice, and to get the zoomies out of the ridgeback. It’s a school night, so I’d like her somewhat calm and not leaping at the end of her leash like some sort of crazed marlin.

She ran. Pooped. Ran some more. Lots of good recalls, but it’s all part of the game so I expect her to run at full speed and skid to a stop for a tasty treat. I figure the more good ones we get, even when it’s a game, the better my chance of getting one when it counts.

Atlas, Kirsten’s great dane, has been having some health problems - his heart - and had to stay overnight at the emergency vet last night. We are all pretty worried about him.

I was shocked to get a message this morning that our good friend D. had a heart attack last night and was at the Heart Institute. It sounds like they got him there quickly so hopefully he has little damage to his heart. I imagine that the worry doesn’t end there - one stent in and 2 to go... I’d be a wreck if it was Carm.


We feel cold, but we don't mind it, because we will not come to harm. And if we wrapped up against the cold, we wouldn't feel other things, like the bright tingle of the stars, or the music of the aurora, or best of all the silky feeling of moonlight on our skin. It's worth being cold for that.”
~Philip Pullman

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

0 is very cold! Spent most of my life in cold climes, but after 8 years in Fl, 40 is near panic time:))