Sunday, December 11, 2022

memories

 Icy wind howled around me as I made my way to Spike’s grave - It’s one year ago today that we took him on his final car ride. The overwhelming grief is a faded memory but still a few tears pricked my eyes. Last night I was remembering him in his final days and for perhaps the first time felt a certainty that we had done the right thing by easing his passing… he was too young though… he should have lived into his late teens but his brain got the better of him. Dementia and then either a stroke or brain tumour aged him beyond his 13 and three quarters years.


I’ll never forget you dearest friend.


As I’m writing this, with tears streaming down my face (thank goodness the tissue box is handy), I can’t help but be comforted by the little grey whirlwind that is curled up against my legs. It was a rough start with her and it took me so long to love her but she has won a place in my heart next to Spike. She’s not like him in any way but maybe that’s for the best - she has her own things that she’s good at.



Snow has started to swirl down, the small flakes flung about by the gusting wind - a good day to curl up with a book or perhaps do some baking. I did bundle up in my parka for a walk around the field with the dogs - they enjoyed their time outside but it didn’t take much to convince them that coming inside was a good thing!



Pat came over for a ‘catch up’ supper - we got to hear how bad Lupa was and how many heart attacks she nearly caused… bad bad girl!



Awesome!


“burger from A&W when I didn’t feel like cooking”

“standing outside while the wind whipped at my cheeks”


No comments: