Friday, December 23, 2022

wild winter weather


Mother Nature is in a fury today, lashing out at the trees with a ferocious wind and clouds heavy with precipitation low in the sky. It’s above zero so the snow and ice from last night has melted off most of the trees, my snowshoe trail is in ruins… perhaps tonight’s snow will restore the winter wonderland…


We are ready for tonight’s flash freeze - nowhere to go and food in the pantry means we won’t have to brave icy roads. Carm cleared the end of the laneway with the snowblower which apparently was a slush storm!




later in the afternoon…


The rain has changed to snow and the wind is starting to pick up again. I’ve done some wrapping and unearthed my recipe for Norwegian Cardamom buns - it was the third last piece of paper in my recipe bookcase. It’s probably been 15 years since I last made them and if I recall correctly, they were Graham’s favourite so I might make them tomorrow to bring for Christmas. Meanwhile… I’m spending a blizzard afternoon streaming Hallmark Christmas movies :-)


Yesterday we dusted up the kitchen with tons of flour to make 2 batches of lefse. I didn’t use the tortilla press, instead I rolled and rolled the tender dough into thin, ragged looking sheets of Scandinavian goodness. Carm did the cooking while I struggled with rolling out the dough into 80, yes, eighty, circles of potato and flour. (Grace MAY have picked up a few more swear words…). 


8:30 pm - Tonight the wind is still howling but we are toasty with a crackling fire. The bad weather meant we had to have a virtual birthday party for Shawn but since the pandemic we’ve gotten good at visiting digitally! Unfortunately, none of us have the technology to render our singing voices into the sounds of angels… we sang the worst versions of ‘happy birthday’ ever (3 times!).



Awesome!


“snug as a bug in a rug”




No comments: