Sunday, December 4, 2022

skunked

 Our house smells like a quiet country road with one too many dead skunks… Last night at bedtime Carm stuck his head into the house: “Adia’s been Skunked!” I jumped out of bed as fast as I do when one of the dogs is horking and grabbed 2 bottles of Skunk Kleen from the laundry room cupboard. We haven’t had to use it for a few years, but we always keep some on hand…


It’s great stuff and doesn’t require late night baths, it just needs to be poured on and rubbed in. Not all the smell is gone but it’s bearable, just. 


Carm’s got the cold now. I guess he should test for Covid but it doesn’t really matter as we are laying low anyway and he always wears a mask when he’s out of the house. It seems funny to put on a mask after 10 days of living as if Covid wasn’t a thing - we rarely wore masks on our trip - but now we are back to full on mask wearing!


The sun was out for part of the day today but it wasn’t motivating enough to get any Christmas decorations up. Maybe in a few days. I’m not feeling anti-Christmas, just not festive yet. Some snow on the ground would probably get me going. As it is, I’m still dragging myself around a bit - another few days and I’ll be back to normal, whatever that is.


Carm brought home a couple of pork sirloin roasts so I made up a dry rub for them and got them into the fridge - I’ll stick them into the freezer tomorrow. I cooked one a while back and it was excellent as it had sat with the rub for a few days.  The rub has garlic, rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, as well as kosher salt and baking powder. They’ll be tucked away for company. Sunday dinner some time in the future when we are both healthy enough for guests :-)


Tonight we had sauteed bok choy with chicken & rice noodles. Drunken noodles with more greens. We both agreed that it was as tasty as anything we’d eaten on the cruise. I’m slowly getting back in the groove in the kitchen!


We were at sea one week ago.



Awesome!


“starting another book by Graham Norton”

“music belting out of my little speaker”

“Michael Buble Christmas songs”

“poinsettia from Trudie”

“the dogs energy matching my own”


No comments: