Friday, December 30, 2022

prep for nye

 Wednesday was another snow day - at least 15 cm of fluffy white snow fell overnight and into the day, enough for Carm to get the snowblower out. And now the snow is melting at a ferocious rate with temps above zero and expected to stay there for several days. It’s turning into one of those horrible winters with too much snow followed by a condition wrecking melt :-(


Yesterday we took advantage of good roads to pick up dog food and visit liquidation. The sun was shining and the roads were starting to dry out. Crazy! Liquidation had Christmas lights on sale half price but the starting price was double what it should have been - they stayed on the shelf. I did buy a huge fake fur pillow to cuddle up with which I needed as much as a hole in the head!



In between our drive to Winchester and Adia & Lupa’s nail appointment, I managed to prep a bunch of dips & spreads, as well as caramelise two batches of onions. I did screw up one of the spreads, forgetting that I wanted it thick so I added a touch too much cream to thin it out - dooh! Today has been another marathon day of cooking: walnut bread, stuff cut up and marinating for skewers, and a melted pepper dish that comes from a book I read ages ago called ‘Under the Tuscan Sun’ (I burned it a bit). It seems like we’ve gone for an Italian theme this year!



I did head out yesterday on my snowshoes for the shortest time possible… of course all my paths had to be remade but I didn’t have the energy to do more than one leg. The snow was heavy making progress slow and exhausting. 



When I made my last post I forgot to mention that Pat came for supper Christmas night - we had a prime rib with all the fixings. My meat thermometer stopped working (what the actual hell!) and I forgot to turn the oven down from 550 to 350 for about half an hour, so it was a real cr– shoot. Luckily, with help from a stick in instant read thermometer the beast came out pretty good :-) Small mercies :-)



Awesome!


“walnut bread out of the oven”

“driving in the sun”



No comments: