Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Life is but a dream

It has been a slightly more typical October the last few days - still warm, but more overcast, and today it is windy with the odd rain shower, and even sunny periods. Still nice to be camping!

I've been taking the dogs down the road to the group camping areas. It is a nice walk that I can make it as long as I want to. This morning I met Trudie and Leo (camping across the road from us) at group camping area 1 - they had been there yesterday and discovered 2 heritage apple trees begging to be picked.

The deer had eaten all the low hanging fruit so Leo tucked the truck up against the tree so we could shake it. It didn't take long before we had a good bag full of russet apples - tart and firm. The next tree was some sort of red apple, also tart and firm. Both are good cooking apples; I think I'll put some in tonight’s supper.

The group camping area is along the river and is an open, grassy area, dotted with large shade trees. Really pretty. There was a little beachy area that would be good for swimming with the dogs. I’ll hope for some unoccupied periods next summer so we can spread our beach towels. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me as it was spitting a bit of rain when I left the camper.

Carm left this morning for his dentist appointment, and to have a visit with his mother. It is a long drive for him, but it is worth it to have these few extra days of camping! (I hope he feels the same way)

Last night at dance class we learned the Samba. I think we can practice this one in the trailer - if we can remember the steps.

Row, row, row your boat

Gently down the stream.

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,

Life is but a dream.

I lie in bed beside my little sister, listening to the singing in the yard. Life is transformed, by these voices, by these presences, by their high spirits and grand esteem, for themselves and each other. My parents, all of us, are on holiday. The mixture of voices and words is so complicated and varied it seems that such confusion, such jolly rivalry, will go on forever, and then to my surprise—for I am surprised, even though I know the pattern of rounds —the song is thinning out, you can hear the two voices striving.

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.

Then the one voice alone, one of them singing on, gamely, to the finish. One voice in which there is an unexpected note of entreaty, of warning, as it hangs the five separate words on the air.

Life is. Wait. But a. Now, wait. Dream.

~ Alice Munro, The Moons of Jupiter

No comments: