Thursday, October 10, 2013

Summer Afternoon

Here it is October 10th at 1pm and I'm sitting outside in shorts, happy to find a spot of shade. I've got a glass of icy lemon water beside me, and the satellite 70s music channel is playing. Life is good.

We moved sites this morning, just across the camp road, to our preferred site for the spring and fall. It gets full, blazing sun from morning to evening. It also has a lovely view of the water - I'm looking at the fall colours reflected. Serene.

DSCN4042

We were lazy with our homemaking this trip and didn't set up the fence – I’m already sick of moving the dogs around to follow the shade so I just put them inside. The fence does make things much easier...

The chorus of John Denver's song comes to mind:
Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
Sunshine almost always makes me high


later in the day

I just read my email to find out that we could have had visitors today – that would have made a perfect day, even more perfect (can I say perfecter?).

DSCN4040

Last night we had an invite to Burt and Susan's campfire. So after a supper of crab ravioli with a homemade tomato/red pepper sauce, and a side salad of arugula and pear with a Dijon maple dressing, we walked next door.

The fire was beautiful, and we had a congenial evening. The down side? Every little bit of me smelled like campfire… which even woke me up in the middle of the night – washing my hair at 2am seemed like it would be a good idea (I didn’t). It was as bad as the olden days when people smoked everywhere.

DSCN4036

 

Summer afternoon, summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language. ~ Henry James

3 comments:

The Odd Essay said...

so.... why didn't you have visitors? And... what's wrong with a little "smoke enhanced" hair? While I can't seem to tolerate cigarette smoke these days, a little campfire smoke doesn't choke up my sinuses (go figure)... anyway... here in Ohio, Summer Days are over... maybe "Indian Summer", but autumn is definitety here. But.... only 2 more days in Ohio... then it's Eastern Coast. Oh well....

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Looks like a great day-no matter the season.

bjosa said...

Here fall has definitely given way to winter. First temperatures below zero and snow painting the mountains around us in white. Tomorrow we are heading for the Canary Islands for three weeks. Followed by a couple of weeks in Spain. So bye, bye winter and welcome more sunny days.