Friday, June 3, 2016

Green Acres is the place to be


It took forever this morning to get our day started. We are usually slow, but today we dragged our feet for ages, putzing around the trailer doing odd jobs and putting off our 'touristing' activities. At 12:30 we decided that the Hornblower boat ride under the falls wasn't appealing. Instead we turned south towards Fort Erie.

We dashed through Fort Erie in November of 2000 to see Valena, a pretty Fjord filly that we ended up buying, but hadn't taken the time to visit the city at all. The waterfront is lovely, with lots of small pull-offs and parks, and we ended up driving Niagara Drive on our way back. It snaked along the river's edge - water on one side and gorgeous houses on the other. My favorite was a pale yellow stucco that could have been from the south of France.

Before we started back to Niagara Falls we had to have lunch at 'Green Acres' which was highly recommended by Ellen and Orval. Oh my. I had the 'Angus Roast Beef Dinner' which had two thick slices of roast beef that covered the large oval plate. A huge heap of mashed potatoes with gravy was on another plate, and a bowl of coleslaw in a bowl - not only did I stuff myself at lunch, I have enough for at least 2 suppers. Carm had the fish dinner which had two giant pieces of haddock, a mountain of fries and a bowl of coleslaw. More leftovers. Oh, and I had rice pudding. Without being asked the waitress showed up with a stack of take-away containers, and another one for the rice pudding. I like having some rice pudding in the fridge - such a treat.

We are both a little slow today… I think we'll take it mostly easy tomorrow to rest up for our trip on Sunday.

I was reminded by something that I used to write down a few things that were my pleasures everyday. Today I'd have to start with dogs getting all their businesses done quickly in the early morning - this meant I could get back to bed! Long sleep-in with a leisurely wake up was lovely. Having a lunch that lived up to expectations. Driving along the river. Seeing the spray from the falls from several miles away, the sun was shining making the mist shimmer.


“A culture fixated on female thinness is not an obsession about female beauty, but an obsession about female obedience. Dieting is the most potent political sedative in women’s history; a quietly mad population is a tractable one.”
~Naomi Wolf

No comments: