Thursday, June 23, 2016

Nature can be ugly... I feel sick

Spring was long and cold, the climate bordering on winter, but summer has come with a bang. It started just before we left for Niagara Falls with hot and humid and continued to just before we got home. A little stretch of Fall convinced us that we'd just had the shortest summer on record and had no hope of swimming in our new pool. Be-dang! Hot and humid for day after day. The water temp in the pool rose till it was in the low 80s and we sweltered in 33C sun.

The last three days have been more seasonal,but seasonal is good. June weather is often some of the best of the year. I'm sitting on the swing (where else) with a slightly cool breeze. It isn't hot hot hot, but is comfortably warm. It is a perfect day for going to a festival, or for golfing (which is where Carm is).

Yesterday was a lazy day and today turned out to be one too. A little break to rest up after having so much fun with Merikay and Craig. I have very little stamina and tire easily, but didn't want to miss a minute so I pushed myself to keep going, even though my head was spinning and I had trouble forming a sentence. Thankfully there were lots of people to carry the conversation!


I'm left with a slight feeling of loss - what are we going to do next? Oh wait! In just a few days my niece, Shenna, arrives from NZ, and a week after that my sister, Kirsten, and my other niece, Nissa, arrive. There will be plenty to do as I try to steal as much of their time as I can. It has been years since our last dose of sister time. Sure, we talk on the phone, but that doesn't make up for face time.

(I might have messed up all the commas in the last paragraph…)

I'm on the back deck away from the peonies, but the air is still perfumed. There must be something else that smells wonderful. The wind is rustling the leaves in the tall poplars making them sound like static on the TV. I have the feeling that if I listen closely enough I'll hear Roy Rogers singing a 'Ghost Riders in the Sky', but I can't quite make it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMqKv7BOg_s

Yippie I ohhh ohh ohh
Yippie I aye ye ye
Ghost riders in the sky

… Carm just stuck his head out the door to say the chipmunk was eating the Cardinal baby :-( I feel sick.

No comments: