Thursday, June 16, 2016

memorizing

The house is clean, or at least presentable. Still have to do the bathrooms but I'll wait till Saturday morning, just before our visitors come. Our sheets are washed and the bed is made. The guest sheets are washed and drying in the sun and breeze. I don't think it will take long for them to be dry.

I'm sitting on the swing with a lemonade and herbal tea within reach. It is hot, but the breeze makes it comfortable. Carm went swimming (73F), but I'm not hot enough. I remember days many years ago that 73 would be my prefered temperature… not so now. The water does look inviting though. I could lay my towel down on the deck and bake for a while.

Speaking of dry: I'm surprised that the hay wasn't flipped over and fluffed up today. With a dew-free night last night and a perfect drying day both yesterday and today the grasses should be drying nicely.

Lots of farm machinery up and down the road and someone is making square bales kitty corner to us. clunk clunk

These last few afternoons of swing time have restored the occasional Peaceful Easy Feeling (pef). Whenever they hit I take a moment to memorize the feeling in an effort to train my brain.

A little while later…

We cut down a big branch from the tree directly across from the swing. It opens up the view into the center of a group of trees. I feel like I'm in a glade. I cut off a big swish of branch for Grace's cage and stuck it in beside her. It half fills her cage but she didn't blink and eye and quickly set to work making toothpicks.

All that work made me hot so I slipped into the crisp pool water. Sunshine sparkled off the ripples. I even dunked my head. Every moment of summer should be savoured.



“At these times, the things that troubled her seemed far away and unimportant: all that mattered was the hum of the bees and the chirp of birdsong, the way the sun gleamed on the edge of a blue wildflower, the distant bleat and clink of grazing goats.”
~Alison Croggon

No comments: