Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Granada spice trail and Bonaire

It is now Wednesday, our tour in Granada was yesterday, but I was too tired to write last night. We are still underway towards Bonaire - we are expected to arrive at noon today.

Our tour in Granada took us into the heart of the island to a jam factory and then further to a herb and spice garden. Our final stop was a rum factory in a beautiful setting. The island is lovely with lots of flowers, banana trees, and pretty pastel coloured homes. Lots of dogs relaxing on front steps. It is hilly but not as extreme as Martinique. We did go up and down a few hills that were certainly more than 15% grade. It felt like we were going straight down!

The bus was a small 30 seater, more nimble on the curving roads than the big one from Martinique.

We met a nice couple at happy hour, had a quick rest, then met Lana and Peter for supper in the dining room. I managed to stay up for the show, but gosh, I was tired.


You can probably tell from my blog posts that I am getting more and more tired. I'm exhausted. I don't know if I'm cut out for such an active vacation! Plus I'm terribly homesick. I miss the dogs and Grace.

I think, no I know, that I'm gaining weight, despite all the stairs. I'm talking 25+ flights of stairs every day. But still, I shovel food into my face at an alarming rate. Lets see, yesterday for breakfast I had smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, and melon; for lunch a few ribs and some pasta; for supper a black bean soup followed by a shrimp and rice dish. Oh yeah, and creme brule for dessert...

Carm is having a grand time. He's been restrained with political talk, although I left him upstairs at breakfast talking with a couple of Floridians - they were of like mind.

The weather has been fantastic. Except for the rain in Granada, which only lasted 15 minutes or so (we were standing outside in the spice garden huddled under an umbrella with a couple from Richmond, which is just outside Ottawa. This morning I passed by the pool and was tempted to forgo today's excursion and instead spend the day by the pool.


It is almost 11:30, (45 minutes before our excursion in Bonaire), and I am back from the pool! A 'quick' swim seemed like a good idea after all and with lots of time before we had to disembark it seemed crazy to deny ourselves. The pool was the busiest we've seen it: around 8 people floated around watching a Cheryl Crow concert on the big screen. We ran into Lana and Peter, not literally, although almost, in the pool.


It is now after our fantastic excursion into the mangrove forest, a wonderful supper, and a great show in the theatre. Time for a quiet evening with a movie in our room: 'Beauty and the Beast', which we caught parts of from the pool a few days ago.

I'm glad for a bit of a rest.

I'll post photos of Bonaire tomorrow or the day after, depending on internet speed.


No comments: