Monday, May 28, 2018

having the right words

What do you say to a man standing in the reception line beside the urn with the ashes of his wife? A man that we know was madly in love with his wife. His 56 year old wife. Well, I really don't know and I can say with some degree of certainty that I fubbed it up. "Nice to see you" is not the right thing to say. I couldn't say what I wanted to say or I'd burst into wild tears. Which is probably worse than saying the wrong thing.

We were at another visitation on Friday, this time for Carm's first cousin Aldo's wife. All the family was there, including many aunts, uncles, and cousins from Toronto. So it was a 'good time' (for some, very bad for others).


Saturday was a more up-lifting outing. We drove the 1 1/2 hours to see Olaf & Tammy to help celebrate Freya's 6th birthday. Luckily it was a lovely evening so we were able to sit outside. The dozen or so kids ran around the backyard like a bunch of hellions - they had a good time. We adults sat sedately around tables decorated with lovely tablecloths and bunches of flowers. Very grown up. Our conversation digressed to talks of nail polish, and from there: brazilions (look it up) :-0


We are close to being ready for our trip. A few (if few means 10s and 10s) things to load on and then all the food. I've planned out some meals so I won't be bringing the whole pantry/fridge, but I'll have some 'just in cases' along for backup. Poodles faces have been clipped, a blood letting this morning shortened their nails, and hotdog treats were made to encourage good behavior.

I'll get most of the last minute things loaded tomorrow, like my favorite silicone spatula and tongs, the instant pot, griddler, and my awesome little vacuum. Everything else will load Wednesday morning. It will be a rush: we plan on leaving at 10am but may be a bit later - since nobody is depending on us being on time we won't stress if we are a bit later.

I'm getting a bit excited.


No comments: