Monday, July 2, 2018

slow fireworks

We ended Canada Day with a spectacular display of fireworks put on by neighbors across the river. Floating in the pool, the cool water a balm against the still hot air, we ooh'd and ahh'd as fireworks burst in the sky. They didn't last forever, but once the sky  turned a deep blue velvet, we were treated to a closer to the ground but no less spectacular display put on by hundreds of fireflies going about their business. Slow fireworks.


At 8:45 am the thermometer at the side of the house read 34C... I made sure to get the dogs out for their morning amble early, (well, early for me!). The sun glared through the humid haze. Spike took a short cut. He was wearing a 'cooler bandana' which he wasn't crazy about, but he does so poorly in the heat that I didn't want him outside without it.

As I watched the temp rise, I couldn't help but worry about Carm out on the golf course. His tee-off was before 7am but he was still out in the hot morning sun. I was glad when I heard the car come into the garage at 10:30. He wore his cooler bandana and said that it really helped him stay not so desperately hot.


thanks to Mom for the lovely pots of plants


"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer. My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music. It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."
~Violette Leduc


No comments: