Sunday, July 1, 2018

30C at 10 am

swish, swish. pinesol. I pried my eyes open and no, I wasn't dreaming. There was Carm washing the bedroom floor at 9am - time to get up anyway. While I was dreaming he got the dog blankets into the washer, swept the house, and washed all the floors. Am I a lucky woman or what :-)

My mom was coming over for lunch and a swim this afternoon and the house hadn't seen much of a clean for ages - I was just going to close the blinds and make it a bit dim in the house so she wouldn't see the dirt... no need now. Even most of the vacuuming is done - all I had to do is run my little cordless wonder vac in the bathrooms. Oh, and race a cloth across the porcelain surface in said bathroom.


A swim was on the horizon so I got cracking and cut down a new big branch for Grace's outside cage - sweating in the process. We quickly cleaned the pool and then jumped into the slightly cool water. The water was already 80F.  By 10 am the temp outside was 30C with a humidex of 46.


Yesterday afternoon we had Pat over for supper with a swim before hand. We bobbed around the pool on our noodles for close to an hour - enough to work up a big appetite. We ate inside, but quickly went back out after the cleanup was done. The evening was perfect with narry a mosquito.

After Pat left we watched an old mystery movie and then, since summer is so short and just because we could, we went out for a final swim before bed. Oh yeah... life is good.


These days, with the sun and the green trees and the wild flowers and the cut hay and and and, it is hard to be anything but almost euphoric. Even the few anxiety attacks that I've had lately are not enough to quelch my appreciation for the beauty that surrounds me. I love our place in the summer. It isn't groomed like city lots, but the wild tangle brings me joy.


Friday, or was it Thursday, we clipped the poodles faces and down their necks and across their bellies to help them cool a bit in this hot weather. They seemed to appreciate it AFTER the torture was over, and after I ran the cold water from the hose all over them.

I've been taking them around the field a few times a day which they love. They don't run around like they used to, although Spike still likes to play the recall game when there are treats involved - he generally runs really fast for that game. Not so much the last few days though... we are all dragging our butts as we do the short loop and today was even worse. Spike trailed a few minutes behind me and was really dragging by the time he got back to the house. I swooped him up and ran some cool water on his neck and belly. He had an incredible burst of speed for a moment before I put him back in the air conditioned house.


Mom came over for the afternoon today. We gorged on sausages and salad, and then floated around the pool for ages. It is HOT... very hot. Apparently festivities at Parliament Hill wound down early due to the impossible humidex.

The humidex is now 46C at 6:30pm. Thank goodness for air conditioning.


Can you guess who this is a photo of? Is it my mom or is it me?


"In the summer time when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find..."
~Mungo Jerry, 'In the Summertime'


No comments: