Thursday, July 19, 2018

whirlwind of activity

It was a brilliant morning yesterday - there wasn't a cloud to be seen and the temperature was a comfortable 24C. I had to visit the dentist again to have my temporary crown replaced, and as I walked back to the truck one word filled my mind. PICNIC! It was a perfect day for an outing.

Once home I got started with lunch prep. I chopped up some zucchini and threw it into the actifry for 12 minutes. While that was cooking I combed the fridge: roasted red pepper and a small dish of chickpeas caught my eye so I threw that in too. A bit of that yummy  dressing and some feta rounded it out. Next on the menu: egg salad to put in a pita. Oh, and some icy cranberry water with lime. Cherries for dessert.

I was almost packed when Carm came in from his ridiculously early golf game and he jumped at the idea. We were soon on the road.


Our favorite picnic spot is a lovely 40 minute drive to some locks along the Rideau Canal. We picked out a picnic table and got to work spreading out our feast. It was a splendid location, with the water sparkling and a cool breeze. Kids were playing on the other side of the lock. Boats glided into the locks and were soon sailing out the other side, 6 feet lower.


Merrickville, a little artist town, was close by so we decided to go for a wander, in the hopes of finding an ice cream cone. We lucked into a parking spot just on the edge of town, and when I got out of the car I noticed the sign for gellato! We would visit at the end of our walk.

The sidewalks were reasonably busy so we didn't end up going far. I did deek into a shop or two, one of which had my eyes bulging out with the plethora of necklaces... oh boy... after a good look-see of the stash, I settled on a gold-tone necklace and some black earrings. They were a good price, and I knew just what I'd wear them with.

Enough shopping... that gellato was calling to us.

So many flavours - how do you choose. I picked a hazelnut frangelico which was heavenly. Carm picked one with raspberry.


We got home and were hardly in the door when the phone rang. It was Trudie wondering if we would meet them at the Acapulco. Sure! And away we went (after feeding the dogs and Grace first of course).

What a day.


Every day in the past week has not been 100% wonderful. On Sunday we attended a Memorial service for a family friend who suddenly passed away. As always these events are bitter sweet. So sad for the passing, but grateful for the chance to see other friends. On our way home we stopped at the Basket Case for club sandwiches, which filled us up so much we didn't want to have our anniversary supper (29 years). We did toast ourselves with sparkling elixier ;-)

The heat wave continues, except for the break yesterday. We've had a tiny bit of rain, but not enough to close the gaping cracks in the ground. 

I can't forget to write about the lovely day I had on Tuesday with my Mom. She met us at liquidation where we poked around for a while. From there we had lunch at Country Kitchen. We parted ways with Carm so Mom and I could shop at a little boutique that was having a 50% sale. After we had spent all our money there, Mom drove me home so we could have a swim. It was a splendid day.



"Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
~Hans Christian Andersen


No comments: