Sunday, July 29, 2018

walk with Nature

The pots on the deck are heavy with water... there has been no time to dry out since the epic rain a few days ago. Every day since has seen some showers, at times heavy.

The weather has been variable with some hot sun, so the pool is still swimable - I was in 3 times yesterday. It is such a treat to have a cool dunk during/after my pre-bedtime hot flash :-0

It was a beautiful afternoon yesterday, so I piled up the placemats, dishes, etc. by the door so we could eat outside. NOT. It poured right before supper. Pat was over and I know she likes eating outside; we were all disappointed.

There has been a glut (and I mean that in the most positive way possible) of zucchini here this week. I've been roasting it, along with some sundried tomatoes, cauliflower and red pepper, tossing it with feta, and sometimes some cooked sausage bits. Yesterday I added some baby tomatoes. It is enough for a one-dish supper. I love zucchini. I love my actifry which makes this whole thing easy.


I've been slightly discombobulated the last few days: sometimes I've got that pef: 'peaceful easy feeling' going on, and in a flash it will change over to a sickening anxiety that tightens at my chest and clenches my stomach, making me want to escape into a dark room. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this rollercoaster. I just carry on, trying to distract myself from the topsy turvey misery.


A sure way to re-capture the pef is to step outside into Nature. Yesterday I was walking around the yard in wonderment after an afternoon shower. Everything was sparkling in the sun and there was something magical about the light - it was golden and bright. A butterfly flittted among the Queen Anne's Lace that bounded my path. It was one of those moments that you'd like to somehow capture in a jar, or on film, or at the very least in my memory.


Shopping is always a good diversion... here is my new $10 dress from liquidation. It will be perfect for dinner on our next cruise. No wrinkles and takes up hardly any room in the suitcase... now the shoes, that's another matter ;-)


"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
~John Muir


No comments: