Thursday, July 26, 2018

still snoring, even louder now

It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring...

I am NOT complaining!!! We desperately needed the rain to quench the earth and quell the thirst of wilted plants. I believe we got the equivalent (or close to it) of July's rain in two days. It poured at times yesterday. Grace's outside water dish was over-flowing.

No rain today, and when I got up at 5 something to let the dogs out while Carm got ready for his golf game, I couldn't see across the creek to the farm next door. The fog was thick as pea soup. Talk about 100% humidity. And it was warm - stepping outside was like stepping into a sauna. Have fun golfing dear...


By 11 am the fog had burned off leaving us with a beautiful day. There is still humidity in the air, and the sun is bearing down on us. By noon we'd already been swimming.

Thanks to Trudie, the kitchen counter is piled with cucumbers and zucchini, along with a few cherry tomatoes and some yellow banana peppers, all ready to eat. Yesterday we gorged on some of them: a cucumber salad with vinegar and garlic for lunch; roasted zucchini with sun-dried tomatoes, red peppers, and feta piled high on our supper dishes. Oh boy... I love roasted zucchini.


I put on my tall boots this morning for our am ramble around the field. The vegetation was soaking wet, and exactly at tummy height for Spike - I don't think he loved it. The clover has exploded into life, the purple pompoms colouring the ground. I felt like I had stepped into a Monet painting.


"Rain is grace; rain is the sky descending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life."
~John Updike


No comments: