Friday, June 29, 2018

peaceful easy feeling

I had that peaceful easy feeling this morning as I walked around the edge of the hayfield. The short stubble is bounded by tall grasses and wild flowers. They grow close to the fence safe from the mower. Butterflies flitted. Birds sang. The sweet smell of summer was ambrosia. I walked along the edge, shaded by the tall poplars, at least on the south and east part of my journey. They whispered their secrets to one another as I was too late for the dawn calm.

I looked across the field, past the rough grazing land to the trees by the river, and marvelled at the natural beauty and my incredible good fortune to live here.


It was already 25C at 9:30 am, and even at that the dogs lagged and didn't run around quite like they often do. By noon it was 30C, not counting the humidex. Perfect for a swim and lounging around on my shady swing. I'm writing this part as I bask in the sultry air.

Grace is in her outside castle pruning the giant branch that I shoved in there for her. She seems content.


We spent the afternoon basking in the glory of summer.


The dogs didn't get in swimming (we did though!), but spent some time under the hose.


"And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.” 
~F. Scott Fitzgerald


No comments: