Tuesday, February 12, 2019

the glory of the day

Carm has been out foraging for food and wine as we prepare to batten down the hatches for a big winter storm. We are well prepared for anything Mother Nature throws at us and will enjoy our time cocooned in our fortress. Some fresh snow will be welcomed and I might even get my snowshoes out for a little tromp.

I love the fury of a blizzard (assuming we don’t have to go far). My big winter coat cuddles me like a giant teddy bear, keeping me warm and cosy.

I love the contrast of hot summer to cold winter. There is an ease in winter that lets me recharge for the frenetic summer. The absence of colour refreshes my mind and lets it lie still in preparation for the riotous rebirth of spring. Each season contrasts with its predecessor in a way that makes it more wonderful and prepares us for its successor.

I love having people over, and perhaps the most in winter. The dark nights are the perfect time to gather round a table to discuss life. Dreary afternoons are brightened by a pot of bubbling soup or a pile of chopped vegetables. I like bustling around, sweeping the floors and setting the table. Candles and low lights set the mood. A bit of music sets the tone. I suppose, if I think about it, these are my most enjoyed moments.

Last night we had Jo Ellen and Don over for supper followed by some feisty discussions. There was lots to agree and disagree on, all in good fun and good humour. One of the topics was centered around the disappearance of robust system development lifecycles and the ‘app’ mentality of today’s programing jockeys. I would be considered a dinosaur in today’s shops - I’m glad I’m retired as the development free for all was already a ‘thing’ in my last years and I’ll have to say I didn’t like it one bit! Give me planning and testing!

I served up onion mushroom soup and a chicken cooked in the instant pot. I think it’s my third chicken done this way and I gotta say: it is a great way to get a moist result. We had our new favorite carrots too. I thought I had screwed up the timing of everything, but luckily we’d cooked some baby potatoes in the actifry so had those with some tzatziki dip to keep the hunger demons away. Better than chips! And as it turns out I hadn’t mistimed by much.


In the rush of early morning,
When the red burns through the gray,
And the wintry world lies waiting
For the glory of the day...
~Louisa May Alcott

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

We still hunt for food, but have the wine delivered from a wine club:) Hope the storm is not to bad:)