Friday, March 15, 2019

ricocheting

I often wonder how the days go by so quickly. It was Sunday just a minute ago… and now it is Friday. I can never seem to keep track of which day it is - Tuesday or Wednesday? They both seem the same. I’m not complaining! I love the freedom from the calendar.

I’ve been reasonably busy though. Monday Trudie & Leo came by to be guinea pigs for another try at pot roast. I think it was better, but then again it could have been the cut of meat. I doubled the broth to 2 cups, plus I used ½ cup red wine to deglaze after sauteing the onions. I didn’t put in any mushrooms and just stuck with the trifecta of onions, celery, and carrots to flavour the gravy. The baby potatoes were tossed with chopped fresh rosemary an piled around the sides of the roast. Oh yes, and I did brown the meat, but didn’t leave it salted in the fridge overnight. And I reduced the time from 40min to 30min with a long NR.

Tuesday I visited my brother Graham and then Carm and I stopped to look at some chairs. Oh, and had a chicken shawarma for lunch. Oh the garlicky goodness :-)

Wednesday we stayed home (although I thought I visited Graham again?).

Thursday Jo Ellen and Don came for supper and I fabricated a chicken pasta dish that everyone seemed to like. Hurrah for the instant pot (again). I’d better get cracking and write down the recipe! As well as the enhancements I’d like to make.

Through all of this I’ve been giving my brain a workout setting up a website and development environment for a Skjenna Famiy History that some members of the clan are working on. The current owner of the Norwegian Farm, (Arne), has researched so much that it would be a shame to let this knowledge lapse. The site will let us share these stories with the whole extended family.

It has been brain busting work!

Through all of this I’ve had a buzz of anxiety. A quick check of the internet revealed that there is such a thing as reverse SAD… it is characterized by increased anxiety and depression in the spring with the increasing light levels. What the heck!!! Just my luck that I am one of the rare sufferers. I’m not alone though, one of my friends suffers as well.

So, here I am, struggling along, with help from some extra meds. Thank goodness for them - they aren’t addictive so are safe to take.


“I have the choice of being constantly active and happy or introspectively passive and sad. Or I can go mad by ricocheting in between.”
~Sylvia Plath

No comments: