Wednesday, January 25, 2023

another little storm

 Winter’s fury is bearing down on us again - we had half a day of respite although there were flurries and the sky and land merge into one, interrupted only by a line of Norway spruces on the property line along the road. It makes me feel cosy and cocooned in my fleece pants and flannel shirt, dog snuggled against my legs.


I managed to pry myself off my butt to get the downstairs chest freezer a bit more organized. I added a few jars of stuff to the bottom - 3 jars of turkey broth for gravy and stuffing, plus a big jar of herbs… glass in the freezer is a bit scary hence the reorg to make a safe spot on the bottom. Plus Carm picked up two giant chubs of lean ground beef from Costco that we bagged into 1lb flattened chunks - 20 bags of meat take up a lot of room! A freezer is a bit like a black hole… (note to self, update freezer inventory!)


My phone got an update a few weeks ago which partially broke the bluetooth between it and my headphones :-( It works sometimes but then it will drop and reconnect constantly until I turn bluetooth on and off again… it may work for 2 minutes or 2 hours… frustration has made me play music from the speaker and inflict my music on Carm. I’m not sure what is worse for him - headphones with me singing, or speaker singing along with me, possibly masking my out of tune voice!


The headphones can be a bit of a pain as Carm talks to me, not realizing that all I can hear is ‘wah wah wah’... it’s like being in a bubble of notes that protects me from reality! I wonder if dancing like a fool counts as exercise?


Monday we had my aunt Kari over for a quick supper and then after she left we chatted with the siblings for a few hours :-) Technology!


The hoppin john leftovers have made for some excellent breakfast/lunch food - I may make another batch when this one is finished cause beans for breakfast are so much better for me than bread. I love bread but it seems to turn immediately to fat around my waist and then gives me acid reflux - ugh. Maybe I’ll make bread tomorrow. 😱 


Lupa has turned into a ‘finding fiend’! She not only searches on the floor, but also on top of things - she’s turned 3 dimensional :-) So that’s awesome!


In the idleness of my brain I wondered about the difference between stuffing and dressing - according to google, stuffing is cooked inside the turkey, while dressing is cooked in another dish, which logically makes sense, although I’d think dressing would go on top, like dressing a wound. But what if you cook it both ways - some inside and some in a dish? What then? It also depends on where you are from: dressing is more of a southern or Victorian term as ‘stuffing’ was considered too crass! What do you call it?


All this chatter is making me want another coffee! Surely coffee is still okay to drink? 


Was just outside… there’s a cold east wind blowing this afternoon… too bad it’s not bringing Mary Poppins instead of snow and ice! A spoonful of sugar would hit the spot right now 🤪  Especially since I DID have that third coffee!


tonight: wild wind from the east dropping snow on us at a ferocious rate.



Awesome!


“flannel pants”

“butter bombs”

“dogs running full speed”

No comments: