Thursday, January 19, 2023

birthday celebrations

 A pillow is a very personal thing and a good pillow is worth its weight in gold. However, even the best pillow has to be replaced every now and again… alas… We picked up a foam ‘cooling’ pillow a few days ago and I’ve been struggling to get used to it. My old pillow was a feathery fluff that could be cuddled into. The new pillow is not. Picture a block of concrete covered in a micron of foam in the shape of a flat pillow… my head does not even make an indent into it. It is not cosy.


Last night was the third night with it. I may be getting used to it but maybe not. The only reason I’m giving it a bit longer is that I don’t wake up with the worst bed-head ever. So either I don’t toss and turn as much, or since I’m on top of the pillow my hair doesn’t get mussed. We’ll see!


Last night we hosted a little dinner for Trudie’s birthday. Trudie, Leo and Marie came, as well as Trudie’s friends Rick and Roger. Roger is a trained chef… We went full out with a turkey and all the fixings… no pressure of course! 


The turkey thermometer gave us some problems part way through - it was reading that the turkey was ready but it had only been in the oven for 2 hours. Not long enough for a 7kg bird to cook!  it was 3:30 and supper wasn’t scheduled until 6 so in a panic jabbed the poor bird with the thermometer in every place imaginable - I finally found a place that registered lower so we went with that and popped it back into the oven. No stress! ha ha.


Everyone got here by 5:30 and had a drink while I finished up the last minute things and then supper was on the table - ON TIME!!! The turkey turned out great - moist and tender. I did roasted carrots and radishes for a change - both good. And of course stuffing, green bean casserole, garlic mashed potatoes, and gravy. Sugar-free cheesecake with a blueberry compote and custard rounded off the meal. We didn’t have a ton of leftovers ;-)


You’d think a turkey dinner would be an easy do - some people seem able to pull such a feast out without working up a sweat… however… Tuesday I did about 3 hours of prep and yesterday was pretty steady… Carm did most of the cleaning and helped with potatoes, moved chairs and got things down from high shelves, etc, but gosh! So much to organize. I spent some time Tuesday morning modifying an old cooking plan cause I was starting to really freak out - it’s been fine tuned and will now be a master plan for any turkey dinner going forward. I’ll just have to adjust times based on turkey size and dinner time. Everything is on it, including which serving dishes I need… it really helped keep me on track.


Carm did the heroic job of doing almost all the clean up :-)


The whole evening, with old friends and new, made it totally worth the effort!!!


Lupa spent the evening after supper moving from one lap to another. She has to get a belly rub from everyone at least once :-) Adia mostly sat with me on the loveseat.


We did have another day of sunshine on Monday but the clouds socked in on Tuesday, bringing a bit of freezing rain and a touch of snow. Blech. Luckily there wasn’t much rain so we’ll be able to re-open our snowshoe trails easily (maybe not today though! it’s more of a chill with a book or movie sort of day.) More weather of some sort is expected tonight but it looks like it might slip south of us.




Awesome!


“new friends”

“turkey breast moist and tender - not dried out!”

“sunshine”

No comments: