Wednesday, June 21, 2023

could I do any more prep

 The burning of the Shire happened while we were away - a large forest nearby has been razed to the ground to make room for more identical houses on tiny lots. It’s a pox on the land… My heart breaks for all the animals displaced by the destruction. 


Yesterday I whirled around the kitchen for hours prepping and cooking for my visit to Kirsten’s this week. I started with the scapes: 2 jars with a brine in the fridge - they’ll keep for 6 months or so. Then I chopped scapes for the roasted vegetable salad. They went into the actifry with zucchini, red onion, red peppers and were finally tossed with some olives and sun-dried tomatoes, and a bit of basil for flavour. While that was cooking I added some more cucumber to the Korean smashed cucumber salad :-)


By the time Carm was home from Costco I was ready to make eggbites. (update: I forgot to bring them!) I also chopped up the tofu and marinated it for drunken noodles - the tofu will replace the chicken that I normally use because Nissa is vegetarian. I cooked it this morning and tucked them into the fridge - I don’t have high hopes for it though - I might have over-squeezed the block.


Then it was time for some flour fun… I have a special apron for rolling out tortillas since I seem to get gluey flour all over the front of me!


By the time 1pm rolled around I was ready for a swim and a bit of time relaxing on the deck. I love the shaded area. With the pergola shading and the leafy green trees that surround that end of the deck I felt like I was in paradise, even the birds were singing a happy chorus, accompanied by the percussion of distant motorcycles backfiring. Even the loud tractor cutting the hay field didn’t ruin the experience. 


It was 2:45 before I knew it and time to get the dogs to the groomers for a nail trim. After that it was just over an hour before Lupa and I had to go to school 🤪 She did not too bad considering she was a class behind all the other dogs. She had a bit of trouble with the tunnel when it was curved but she’s only been in it a few times. The circle of jumps was tricky for us as well - a combination of her confusion and my handling. It was fun though and she seemed to enjoy it.


Today I’ve prepped a layered Greek salad and a Greek orzo dish… both good for a hot summer night! I may be over catering but I wanted to try these 2 new recipes. The tofu in the drunken noodles is sort of new too as I’ve never used tofu like this… not sure how it will go.


I’m now nicely ensconced in my little home away from home. I love playing house in the villetta. Of course I’ll miss Carm but doesn’t absence make the heart grow fonder?




Awesome!


“a good run”

“my second home”

“thunderstorm skirting us”

No comments: