Monday, March 23, 2020

a moment of trial

Winter made a return visit today. Huge flakes of snow hung in the air before drifting to the ground. They piled onto branches creating a scene that would be better appreciated a few months ago. The only thing I want to see on branches these days are LEAVES! But we had nowhere to go (as if) so didn’t worry about slippery roads.

I watched a bit of news at 11am and that was okay. I went outside and walked around the house a few times - the long way. I cooked chickpeas. I surfed Facebook (lots to scare there). In other words, I didn’t do much of anything and frittered away my day.

I put on my headphones and danced, getting Adia involved (she wasn’t keen - maybe she needs to hear the music). 


Supper tonight was a fresh Greek salad with a side of lemon rice. It was good. My original plan was to serve the chickpeas with it, but a) I overcooked them; and b) I needed comfort food. Since we got the instant pot we’ve gone from rarely eating rice to eating it a few times a week. Carm minces hot peppers, I add chopped garlic, sesame or olive oil, and sometimes fennel seeds. Then depending on what we feel like I add onion, mushrooms, lemon, green beans, peas or sausage… all sauteed in the pot before adding the rice and broth. Oh yum!!! 


Sycophant is the word that springs to mind watching the US White House Coronavirus Task force briefing… 


“I suppose sooner or later in the life of everyone comes a moment of trial. We all of us have our particular devil who rides us and torments us, and we must give battle in the end.”
~Daphne Du Maurier

No comments: