Friday, March 20, 2020

practicing social distancing

A shroud of gauze hung over the windows which were fogged on the outside, but even so I was able to see drifts of fog pass. By noon much of the moisture had dissipated although there was still some floating above the remaining snow. when I took the photos of Adia in the field practicing social distancing. By 2pm the wind had whipped away the last traces, roaring in the branches of the trees. From dead calm to a maelstrom…

The wind did blow away some of the clouds so we had flashes of sun later in the afternoon, and by supper time the sky was almost clear. Lovely!



This morning I was up at the normal time (some would consider it late), had coffee, and then, totally out of character fixed my hair and put on some makeup. Crazy? Well, I thought it might make me feel more ‘with it’ and perhaps less ‘slouchy’. The fixing up didn’t extend to my clothes - I can’t give up my flannel shirt! I then prepped a few lemons for freezing; and diced and cooked 4 packs of mushrooms. You might think that 4 packs of mushrooms might be hoarding, but they are the small boxes, not nearly the size of the Costco tub. I can go through 1 or 2 Costco tubs in a week so I’m going to have to use them sparingly. 

I had never thought of freezing lemon slices, but apparently they freeze well. I’ve kept a few whole ones aside for zesting, but the rest are sliced thin, frozen separately and then stored in containers for later use. I can use them in drinks or for lemon chicken. Brilliant!

I know it sounds like I’ve been stockpiling, but really I haven’t. We’ve always had a pantry of extras that we buy when things go on sale! Having 4 cans of green beans is not unusual as we may not buy them for a month.


Tonight we had roasted sweet potato, red onion, cauliflower, sausage, and asparagus all done in the actifry with a side of garlic tahini sauce for dipping. It felt a bit like big game hunting to venture out into the dangerous world so we’ll be sure to savour our kill.



You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.”
~Maya Angelou

No comments: