Saturday, March 21, 2020

shift the focus

Bright sun greeted us this morning, drawing me out of bed earlier than usual. The golden sun fueled me through a few chores this morning but by 1pm I was lolling on the sofa with my eyelids drooping.


Today was bone broth day - hurrah say the dogs!

The freezing temps have turned the field into an ice rink so we didn’t take Adia out for a run today. Instead she kept herself busy inside by watching a pesky squirrel that was taunting her from the back deck. She trotted from window to window trying to keep it in her sights. She was pretty calm about it though and didn’t bark or try to get through the windows. Not sure how it would go if I took her outside on her leash…

Carm says she has incredible persistence and I have to agree with him.


The number of cases of Covid-19 are creeping up. Twenty confirmed cases in Ottawa although the public health doctor suspects upwards of 2000 is more likely. Is she saying that just to scare people into staying home or could it really be true? If you need stuff like groceries or wine, now is the time to get it, before the numbers increase exponentially as expected.

I’ve been feeling reasonably calm the last few days with no appreciable panic. I can even watch a bit of the news. I turn the TV on mid-day to watch Justin Trudeau’s press conference and feel calmed by his words. Even CNN isn’t panicking me. Aside from missing friends and family, much of my daily life is no different so it’s easy to keep living in a bubble.

Perhaps I feel disconnected from reality.

It’s probably best that way as I can’t see any fast way out of this. It will be at least a year before a vaccine will be available and drugs to treat the infection will likely take a while. That means that we’ll be in some sort of lock down for months. Slowly, people will get infected and those that recover may have immunity so they can start moving in society. Slowly life will start returning to normal.

Please tell me that I’m being an awfulizer!


“Whenever something bad happens, keep calm, take a few deep breaths and shift the focus to something positive.”
~Roy T. Bennett

No comments: