Thursday, March 19, 2020

green onions and chocolate chips

The pebbles in my mind are carefully placed on precisely raked sand and a ripple of water can be heard in the background… I feel calm. Reality is somewhat blurry as perhaps I’ve buried my head in said sand, but hey! I’m doing better than yesterday and now is all that matters. I’ve done all I can do to prepare so all there is left is to relax and live in the moment.

Getting my mind to accept that I didn’t need any more food etc. was a big step towards mental wellness. It was difficult to overcome the panicked feeling of getting more and more - I understand the anxious, out of control thoughts that lead to hoarding. I still have a list of things ‘just in case’ we get to a store, but there is nothing on it that we can’t do without.

Well… I could use a bottle of Brandy to have in a bedtime, sleep better’ drink. I started having a mix of hot water, lemon, honey, with a touch of brandy last December on our Panama canal cruise. I was so sick that the bartender made a special trip to the coffee shop to get the ingredients. I don’t have it often, saving it for when I need a bit of comfort, but oh my, it is soothing!

Speaking of stores, Kirsten said that the Costco in the west end of the city was well setup for keeping its patrons safe. 


It’s a bit of a dreary day with low grey clouds and an uncomfortable breeze. It’s barely above zero so I guess I shouldn’t complain. Spring seems to be right around the corner - I’m sure I’m not the only one that could use the uplift of a warm sunny day.

We got the wild one out running again today. Nothing matches the pure joy of a dog in flight.

 

SKREEEECH… scratch all that bullsh&^ about being zen and calm… with one quick slash something on the news about other businesses closing immediately ruffled the sand. Could our pet food store close? We’ve been hearing that this could go on for months so after some thought we decided another bag would be prudent and now rather than later would be the time to get it. There are 20ish cases of Covid-19 in the city today… this is going to go up rather than down so we have to act soon. Perhaps we were just wanting to get out. 

Picked up the dog food and decided to brave the grocery store down the road. The flyer had all sorts of alluring fresh foods on sale… so with hand sanitizer and cleaning wipes in hand we wheeled the cart into the store.

It wasn’t very busy and for the most part we were able to have the aisle to ourselves… did pass one old guy with a mask… loaded our cart and checked out… walk out the store behind the old guy… cough cough cough! Yikes!!!

That’s it! No more semi-essential trips to the grocery store!!! I have green onions and chocolate chips so we can stay isolated now for sure. ☠ 


Your hardest times often lead to the greatest moments of your life. Keep going. Tough situations build strong people in the end.”
~Roy T. Bennett

No comments: