Sunday, March 29, 2020

Ma and Pa Kettle

Headline tonight: There are a total of 6,280  (5,655 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 65 (60 yesterday) deaths to date.

The rain is dripping from a grey sky, sapping all creativity and will to act. Even picking up my tablet seems like too much work. Oh how I would have loved to cuddle up under a blanket and watch old movies, preferably Ma and Pa Kettle or maybe Francis the talking Mule. You know, comfort TV. Or even Mr. Dressup and the Friendly Giant like I used to watch when young and sick at home. Mom would cuddle me up on the sofa with blankets and pillows. I’d sip milk & gingerale and feel taken care of. No, I’m not sick, just what? Not scared exactly, not worried exactly, not anxious, just wanting to step out of today’s reality.

It’s 2:30pm and there has been no CNN or other news which is a relief.

I read an article about homemade face masks and their usefulness compared to proper hospital type masks. Not as a replacement for doctors and nurses, but as a potentially helpful thing for us when we leave the house. It was a well reasoned and logical argument.

So, I wheeled out the dreaded sewing machine and hunted down some fabric. THEN I started looking at patterns and instructions… considering that I can’t sew more than a straight line, and also that my brain is stodge today, the machine sits beside the table taunting me. Maybe tomorrow.

Last night I laboured over chicken with dumplings (it took me an hour to make it!). It was a new recipe and one always wonders how it’s going to turn out. Luckily it got a 5/5 star rating from Carm and I had to agree with him. Well worth the effort, although a bit calorific for regular consumption. Tonight I’m making an easier and healthier meal: Burritos with black beans and rice topped with avocado, chives, and grated cheese.



So it is more useful to watch a man in times of peril, and in adversity to discern what kind of man he is; for then at last words of truth are drawn from the depths of his heart, and the mask is torn off, reality remains.”
~Lucretius

No comments: