Thursday, June 4, 2020

promise of freedom and justice

I was freed from the confines of the gate today! Carm played golf and when he got home I got dressed up (!) for a trip to Costco - my first since the beginning of March. I wanted a few pots of geranium for the front deck, and something tall for the other planters. Found the geraniums - a pretty salmon pink - but nothing tall. Tomorrow we’ll have another outing to a local nursery.


Costco is pretty good about having people wear masks and of course we were wearing ours. I’m not sure if it was the mask or the fact that I’d only had yogurt to eat all day, but by the time we were standing at the cash, I felt faint and had to ‘get outta dodge’.



We had a lovely visit with Edna and Andy last night. We travelled together last year on a cruise through the Panama Canal and had such a good time with them. Sadly, we would have been meeting in person today had the pandemic not turned the world upside down. The annual Titanium reunion would have been this week. We are missing everyone! I hope things will be back to normal next spring. 


We agreed that if camping resumes we might get together this fall. We have camping booked from mid September to mid October down on the St. Lawrence - I hope they join us for a few days. Maybe other people too ;-)


While Carm golfed this morning, I got on my grubbies and spent some time in the garden - feel free to mark this day on your calendar. I had to weed around my mint, the mint that is integral to my  summer mojitos. Sadly it’s not doing that great. I think the patch doesn’t get enough sun so I (gasp) cut back my lilac a bit.


Yesterday Carm had brought home a giant flat of bright pink petunias so I planted them in pots on the deck. I have a few leftover so I might tuck a few around the tomatoes.




Headline tonight: Protests continue across the USA. 1,922,968 cases with 110,130 deaths in the US. There are a total of 93,702 (93,063 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 7,636 (7,497 yesterday) deaths today.



“And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? ... It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.”

~Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments: