Monday, November 16, 2020

counting every day

 I was surprised when I opened the door this morning and didn’t step out onto the yellow brick road - the wind had shaken the house all night, threatening to loose it from its roots and send it flying. In the yard, Christmas lights lay on the ground, stripped from the tree.


It’s 8:45pm and the dogs are going crazy playing in the house :-(  We’ve got the volume ratcheted up so we can hear Anderson Cooper give his monologue but even so, at times the shenanigans drown out the loud TV. Let’s get another dog said no one!


We took a little trip to Dollarama this afternoon - Carm waited in the car patiently while I browsed up and down the aisles - a little bit of retail therapy. I got a few odds and ends, treasures that I had on my shopping list, but nothing earth shattering. It felt good to get out of the house. Dollarama was my saviour all those years ago when I was manic and wanting to go on a spending spree. Oh, and Ikea. We have lots of things around the house that came from there, many still in use all these years later.


After that we stopped at the grocery store for a few more packages of boneless, skinless chicken thighs. The freezer is nicely provisioned for the winter and the inventory updated and annotated. I’m still a geek.


One day at a time… I put 2 new countdown/up counters on my phone - 1: the number of days since we brought the trailer home and 2: the number of days until May 1, an abratory date that marks the end of winter. I don’t know if it will help or hurt. My urge to automate is overpowering at times, 🤣 giving me a feeling that if I can count it, I can control it, or fix it, or make it go away...


Finally the dogs have settled down. Spike’s gone to bed (I hope he was able to get onto the bed), and Adia is asleep on the futon beside me. I need to make a resolution to get them outside more so they burn off some of this energy.


I found this photo of Kirsten and I from 1984 or 1985. It isn’t obvious in the photo but it was the year that I had pink hair from a dust up with red food colouring. 


Photo of Olaf and I in 1977.



“Learn to enjoy every minute of your life. Be happy now. Don’t wait for something outside of yourself to make you happy in the future. Think how really precious is the time you have to spend, whether it’s at work or with your family. Every minute should be enjoyed and savored.”

~Earl Nightingale

No comments: