Friday, November 13, 2020

driving on the shoulder

 This afternoon I made myself sit down with my tablet on my lap to write a blog post… each word was yanked out of my brain, not painful, more like a big chunk of hair is being pulled by the bully that sat behind you in school. I’ve been a bit off my game these last few days, not in a really bad way, but I’m driving on the shoulder. 


We’ve been keeping active though. Carm’s played golf a few days while second summer was with us. By Wednesday the clouds had socked in, occasionally weeping at the departing sunshine. In the morning we watched the Remembrance Day ceremony at the war memorial from the comfort of our living room. There weren’t many people in the crowds as we were asked to stay home. The bugle brought tears to my eyes.


Then in the afternoon we had lunch at Trudie & Leo’s. She had their garage set up with two tables on opposite sides and the large door open for air flow. It felt reasonably safe, but I suppose we are only truly safe if we lock ourselves behind the gate which seems like too much to ask.


Yesterday Carm changed the tires on the car - I stood around handing tools and picking up lug nuts - not terribly useful but I guess it does move the job along. Then we did a bit of shopping in the village - no browsing, just in, find the things, pay, and out the door. Some things that we wanted for our freezer were on sale so we stocked up a little bit. I may go back for another package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs which were just $5 lb - chicken shawarma baby!


This morning I collected a little jar of Spike’s pee so after stopping at a few other places we dropped that off at the vet and picked up 3 months of their tick/flea meds. Big excitement :-(


I’ve gotten myself sidetracked by thinking about Christmas and what we are going to do. I’d love to spend it with Kirsten, but with the restrictions it’s possible we’ll be spending it at home. In some ways it might be easier to make the decision to cancel and move forward with that expectation, but then again it’s not what I want! I feel that if I remove thoughts of being with people from my head I’ll be able to get through the winter in a monotonous, but doable, routine. 


Cooking is going to keep me sane. I’ve already planned out our meals for the next week and a half but I’m sure the plan will evolve but maybe that’s ½ the fun. At some point the scale is going to collapse under my weight and I’ll have to do something, but until then 🐷.


The cbd oil came this afternoon so I’ll pick up the experiment.



“We can’t control the world. We can only (barely) control our own reactions to it. Happiness is largely a choice, not a right or entitlement.”

~David C. Hill

No comments: