Thursday, November 11, 2021

it's not only the drawers that are empty

 I can see clearly now the rain is gone… or can I? The last few weeks have drizzled into one slightly grey blur. I woke up this morning thinking that life is too long but quickly gave myself a shake and got on with my day, paying special attention to errant thoughts. 


I just rescued Spike from being splayed out on the floor for the second time in an hour. It’s heartbreaking. He seems, well, I don’t know, maybe unsure, clingy. He’s lying on my feet now. I think wall-to-wall carpet manufacturers have old dogs cause hardwood is a nightmare for the elderly canine. It might be time to get a few more scatter mats. Honestly, if I could carpet the whole place temporarily I would.


Last night after his pee he started running towards the hayfield. He clearly had no idea where he was and was too stunned to listen to me calling him as I ran after him with the flashlight. I don’t know if he was scared but I sure as heck was. Today I started trying to teach Adia to ‘find Spike’. I didn’t get very far - time to think up a better training plan. Years ago I taught Spike to find things, including Carm, and it seemed to be easy, but he was a quick learner.


I didn’t specifically teach him but I could take an item of apparel from someone, show Spike, then hide the item. After a ‘find it’ command he would start searching, always returning with that item and not one of the hundred toys scattered around the house. He was just that smart.


Through the years I wondered how it would be with Spike when he got old and infirm as he didn’t like to be picked up or man-handled in any way. I needn't have worried as he seems to appreciate the help.


I’d better find a happier topic as I feel my heart slowly being ripped out.


Carm had another golf game yesterday! That’s at least a happy topic for Carm! I enjoyed puttering around doing more odd get ready for winter jobs. Tuesday we got the tires changed and Grace's cage pressure-washed.


I ordered a few pillow covers from Amazon - time for a cosy winter look! They won’t be here for a few weeks so I’ll have to be a bit patient (why does that look wrong?).


Okay, now for a laugh… yesterday I was emptying 2 drawers in the camper, one with towels, the other with placemats and tablecloths. Well, I emptied the towels into a tall bin, moved the bin out of the way and opened the other drawer to find it empty! Gosh! I was freaked out. I couldn’t remember moving the table stuff but looked around the trailer some more, then ran inside to check the basement. I fired off a few messages to Mom and Kirsten and then wracked my brain. For the life of me I couldn’t remember doing anything with them. I went back out to the camper to check again. Nothing. I opened every drawer and cupboard to no avail… back to the drawers. Opened it and EVERYTHING WAS THERE!!!! I had been opening the drawer that I’d just emptied! 🤪😄🤣🤪🤣  Seriously! It still makes me laugh out loud :-)


It was sunny this morning for Remembrance Day ceremonies but alas, clouds accompanied by a cold wind moved into the area before noon.


Trudie & Leo came over tonight after supper for some laughs. We are having fun trying out the herbs that we grew this summer! Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme…



Awesome!


“brilliant stars made my late night trip outside with Adia awesome”

“mixing leftover soup with other leftovers and ending up with an even better soup”

“reliving our trip to Europe 2 years ago - photos and text right in my blog!”

No comments: