Monday, November 29, 2021

garlands

 Christmas is slowly creeping into the house one shaggy needle at a time. Today I strung the garlands - they are 27 years old and getting a little worse for wear but I’ll make them live for another few years. I remember the first Christmas we were here putting them up for the first time; I was so excited and I suppose a bit of that excitement rubs off me every year much like the plastic needles fall to the floor. 


I went crazy sewing big gold bows using the most uncooperative fabric ever created. Thin and slippery it twisted its way through my (beloved ha ha) sewing machine. I look at them now and think that they were well worth the effort and swearing. 



There’s a window seat or bench built into the wall in a giant U at the south end of the room which is covered with plants from the deck. As I took down the valence and hung the garland at each window I was treated to a waft of fragrance from the herbs. Lemon thyme at one window, rosemary at the next. Sweet basil and more lemon thyme greeted me at the other windows.



Carm went on a quest to Canadian Tire for a step ladder and came home with an armful of coloured LED lights for me to string around the great room. Oh! Pretty lights! All my tiny lights are a warm white but the joy brought by coloured lights was a surprise. I kept them on all afternoon :-)



Yesterday Jo Ellen and Don joined us for Sunday dinner. I have memories of visiting my great-grandparents for an early afternoon dinner - 2 pm is the perfect time to enjoy sitting at the table with friends. I made a butterball turkey thing that comes in a box which turned out amazing in the instant pot. The gravy was made using thick chicken bone broth and basically made itself at the bottom of the pot. Oh my! And so easy!!!


I told Carm today that one of the most attractive things about him is how patient and calm he is with Spike. It would be easy to get frustrated with Mr. Naughty when he can’t hear or takes 15 minutes to pee but Carm never does. I hope Spike somehow feels the love and care that we give him.


Yesterday seemed to be tougher for Spike than usual. Maybe having guests over confused him but he walked and walked, never looking like he knew where he was. He wasn’t frantic but did seem mildly worried. I made sure to hold him tight at bedtime. 


Today however things seem worse.


We were heading to Trudie & Leo’s for supper tonight but Spike has had a downturn of some sort today. When I took him outside this afternoon he shook like crazy and had to be carried down the stairs but did make it up okay. Then he struggled to stand up to eat his supper on the slick carpet. He tried to bite us when we helped him up so I’m suspecting some pain somewhere. So Carm went to T&L’s while I stayed home to keep watch since he’s fallen on the floor several times today and been unable to get up... curse these slippery floors.


He’s holding his head weird, his eyes are squinting a bit and he’s definitely favoring a front leg.


On a bright note: It only took a few hours for the birds to find the bird feeder Carm put up today. I’ve also discovered a new 'Peaceful easy feeling' song: 'lovely day' by Bill Withers. Listen to it and let me know if you felt the mellow melt any stress.


Awesome!


“herbs scenting the air as I clambered around putting up the garlands”


Then I look at you

And the world's alright with me

Just one look at you

And I know it's gonna be

A lovely day (lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day)

(Lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day)

A lovely day (lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day)

(Lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day)

Bill Withers

No comments: