Tuesday, November 9, 2021

one hour and fifteen minutes

 The temperatures have been dipping down to freezing every night and the winter sun has not been strong enough to warm us up beyond 10C. Some trees are holding strong onto their leaves but enough fell last week for Carm to close the pool before our overnight trip to Olaf’s… 


The Catalpa was fully leafed until the first killing frost (-5!) and then it dropped them all in one day. I wondered about taking the giant leaves to make an Adam and Eve type costume! Instead we gathered them up to dump onto a newly dug garden bed.


We had a little food celebration to mark 2 years since our Mediterranean cruise in 2019.


We are getting into a good swing for the winter: last Sunday Jo Ellen and Don came for lunch/dinner, and then Monday Pat came for supper. I made Pat prosciutto wrapped chicken thighs with a white wine, apple & onion sauce. It was the first time EVER that I’ve cooked something in a skillet in the oven which opens up a myriad of possibilities! The recipe (which I only sort of followed) is saved in my favorites as it was fantastic. Trudie and Leo came on Thursday night for Korean beef. 


Last night it took me ages to get Spike to settle into bed. He wanted down from the bed a few times and would walk around looking confused. Finally I hoisted him up for the last time, snuggling him against me with my arm heavy on his side. He quickly fell asleep. I think he was particularly clingy as we’d left him with Pat overnight on Saturday - it was exactly 2 years (to the day!) since we last went away without him.



Saturday we were excited to make the drive to Olaf & Stephanie’s new house! A mere 1hr 15min separated our laneways, just 10 minutes longer than a trip to Kirsten’s. Awesome!


Their perfectly styled decor inspired me to spend today tidying and rearranging… so much more could be done but that would mean moving large pieces of furniture, with one extra giant desk left over. Maybe if we get the basement figured out I can move it downstairs. As it was, I mostly only shifted stuff from one place to another… oh why can’t I actually get rid of anything?


Do you know anyone who could paint a few dressers?



The time changed on Saturday… boo hiss! As I write this it’s 4:15pm and the sun is already sliding close to the horizon. Tonight I’ll fire up a few of my led lights.


Carm’s off golfing, perhaps the last day for 2021? I’ve been blasting music all day which has been energizing the reorg. 



Awesome!


“peanut cluster cheesecake bites”

“gorgeous day for a drive”

“Country Roads blaring as we drove down the highway”

“fitting into my old motorcycle jacket”

“enjoying the memories that came with the coat”

“laughing late into the night”


‘I feel a power in me that I must develop, a fire that I may not put out but must fan, although I don’t know to what outcome it will lead me’. 

~Vincent van Gogh, Self-Portrait (1887)

No comments: