Monday, April 9, 2012

Happy Easter

I hope everyone had a Happy Easter and got the requisite amount of chocolate.

Last night we were at Carm's brother Joe's for supper (my that's a lot of 's in a row!). It was nice to see family, unfortunately not everyone was there. We missed the hub bub of such a large crowd. On the plus side though we had a better visit with the people who were there. It was nice with just Sandy and I puttering in the kitchen, we had some real girl talk :-)  Spike was invited guest - he and Sunny love to play and have a grand time when they get together. Spike doesn't have the energy of Sunny though and was ready to go home after a couple of hours. I think next time I'll bring his little mat so he has somewhere to settle.

Aside from supper last night we've been sticking to our diet which is basically fat-free vegan. I signed up with a calorie counter site and am putting all our food into the log - aside from finding out how many calories are in everything, we are also better able to see where we are short nutrients. I don't know how anyone gets enough iron in their diet without eating sides of beef every night. It will take me at least a few more days to formulate a diet plan that includes everything we need. Lentils are quite high in iron so I foresee way too many of them in my future.

20120409_weight-jars_002The other thing I did diet related was from an idea posted by Ruth in her Pintrest board. I set up 2 little jars, one tagged "weight to lose", the other "weight lost". In the “to lose” jar, for each pound that I want to lose, I put in a glass weight like those used in flower arranging. I'm pretty visual so I hope this will motivate me. However, after 3 days of being really careful with diet and exercise, one jar is still empty...

 

I've been playing around with having something other than soup for our lunches. Yesterday's lunch was: 1/2 avocado, hot sauce, lemon juice, 1 cup baby spinach on 1/2 whole wheat pita - very yummy but high in calories with the avocado. Today we had: homemade hummus (made with canned chickpeas, 2 T famine, lemon juice, 1t ground cumin, 1t ground coriander, 1/2 t dried chili peppers, a bit of water as required - makes about 6 servings), the hummus was spread on 1/2 whole wheat pita which was then stuffed with baby spinach (at least 1 cup, maybe 2). Both lunches were really tasty and full of nutrients. We'd be better off ditching the pita bread as it is a processed food, but there are limits ;-)


20120403_tree_002
20120409_spike_002

Of all things visible, the highest is the heaven of the fixed stars.
Nicolaus Copernicus

3 comments:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Hope you had a great Easter!

Kimberley said...

I like your idea of using the jars and marbles to track your weight loss, very cool. I am a sorry to see you have chosen to not eat beef :( but definitely respect your choice! Best of luck!!

Laura said...

Oh, we'll be eating beef sometimes, just not as a regular part of our diet. I love a big thick steak every now and again ;-)

The thing is, there are many less calorie dense protiens, plus recent research is linking red meats to cancers and heart disease.

I know you are a beef grower - and I respect that.