I made a new recipe last night and it was yummy, and simple to make. The recipe that I adapted it from called for boiling the green beans, as well as much more olive oil. I think roasting them gave a nicer result. And of course I reduced the oil – 1 teaspoon was plenty. I served it with lentils. Another low-fat vegan dish to add to the rotation! It would also make a nice side dish, and is good enough to serve to guests.
Serve these beans at room temperature or chilled as a summery salad. Notes: You can buy preserved lemons in specialty food stores, or you can make your own (prepare them at least two weeks before using).
Yields: 2 Servings
1/4 cup sliced almonds roasted
1 pounds green yellow, or purple beans
3 Preserved Lemon 3 or 4 wedges (see notes)
1 tablespoons rosemary leaves fresh finely chopped
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil (was 2T)
1 cloves garlic minced (optional)
1. Move oven rack to lowest position. Preheat to 400.
2. Toss green beans with rosemary, garlic and oil. Spread out on 2 trays lined with parchment.
3. Roast in oven for 5 - 8 minutes, until tender, shaking once or twice.
4. Rinse preserved lemon thoroughly under running water; discard seeds and pulp. Finely chop lemon.
5. Mix preserved lemon and almonds with green beans. I do it right on the cookie sheet. Can be served warm or cold. If serving cold wait until serving to mix in the almonds.