Sunday, April 29, 2012

Honorary Norwegians for a Night

Kari (my aunt) hosted a Norwegian themed party last night – it was going to be in March but hockey changed her plans. She had her house decked out with flags, photos, bunads, trolls, and everything else Norwegian (except I thought they were really missing a Fjord horse!). The guests came in costume, and I have to say that everyone put so much effort into their turnout. Viking hats were everywhere! Thor’s hammers, axes and other weapons of war were brandished about. It was a blast!

20120429_viking-invitation_001

Kari served a traditional Norwegian eve supper (or at least traditional for our family), complete with ludefisk, lefse, gytost, and some food for the gringos. She had also made a number of traditional Norwegian cookies. I honestly don’t know where she finds the time or the energy!

20120429_property_001

We are still having strong winds, but thankfully today it was sunny enough to tempt me out for a good walk with the dogs. We did the normal hay field loop but also headed down into the lower pond paddock. I thought there might be trouble with the chicks, but I kept the dogs from hunting around too much (meatballs in my pocket!). I would have liked to poke around myself, so perhaps I’ll go down there by myself tomorrow. I imagine the chicks have left the nest though.

It is amazing to see how quickly the grass has gone green and growing. Carm’s going to have to get out there with the lawnmower soon.

20120429_property_00620120429_property_005

I beat my record on the treadmill today – 4 miles in 60 minutes with a 500 calorie burn. I really had to push myself (and I mean really), but 3 weeks ago I wouldn’t have had a chance. I feel pretty good!

Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it.
Winston Churchill

2 comments:

bjosa said...

It's nice to hear that our Canadian family still honor our common Norwegian traditions. I believe it was a nice evening, wish I could be with you.
I looked up the Skjenna name in our history of old Norwegian farm names and thought that could be of interest for you to know a little about the name.
The name Skjenna it first recorded in a document from 1668. The name was then written Sckeene. Next time the name appear is in a document from 1723 then written Skienne.
It's only two farms in whole of Norway with simular names.
The meaning of the name Skjenna is a place that is shining. And when one look at the place where the farm is placed. It is placed where the sun easily
can shine upon it.

Laura said...

Thanks Bjorn for the message. We would have liked you to be there too. Thanks for sharing the info about our family name. Very interesting, and I love the part that it is a place that is shining :-