Saturday, April 14, 2012

Kale Chips–are you kidding me?

I’ve read several recipes for kale chips and since I was looking for a salty, crunchy treat that falls within my diet guidelines I thought I would give them a try. They are a bit fussy to make but OH SO WORTH IT!!! Both Carm and I were surprised/shocked to find them quite yummy. And that’s saying a lot… Carm was not really fussed about the idea but bravely gave them a try. Five star rating from him (and me)! Who woulda thunk it?

star5Kale Chips

These are unbelievably tasty - quite a surprise!
Yields: 6 Servings

Ingredients

1 large bunch of leafy red kale
1 tablespoon Olive oil
sprinkle sea salt
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375. Wash and completely dry kale.
Pull the woody stems from the leaves and break up into bite-sized pieces into a bowl.
Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle some fine sea salt and the cayenne.
Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment, just one layer.
Bake at 375 for about 8 minutes. Take them out when they’re nice and crunchy and slide easily from the cookie sheet.

I tried one batch with 1/4 tsp of chinese five spice, it was good, but we both preferred the cayenne. Try with garlic powder next time.

ggskj1-small

5 comments:

Merikay said...

I HAVE to try these! Kale is on my next shopping list for sure. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Terri's Pal said...

Next time you make these, could you post a photo of them on the cookie sheet before and after cooking? I'm having a hard time imagining such a veggie snack.

Merikay said...

We tried these today, and I used garlic salt. They were too salty... my fault. I'm not sure the Kaleyness is to my taste, but they were interesting..

Laura said...

They might not have been cooked enough - if they aren't they are a bit tough, if they are cooked just right (and that's hard to do) they are light and crispy. Believe me, Carm would NOT have liked them if they were like kale at all.

Laura said...

sure thing Dorothy.