Saturday, April 14, 2012

Kale Chips–are you kidding me?

I’ve read several recipes for kale chips and since I was looking for a salty, crunchy treat that falls within my diet guidelines I thought I would give them a try. They are a bit fussy to make but OH SO WORTH IT!!! Both Carm and I were surprised/shocked to find them quite yummy. And that’s saying a lot… Carm was not really fussed about the idea but bravely gave them a try. Five star rating from him (and me)! Who woulda thunk it?

star5Kale Chips

These are unbelievably tasty - quite a surprise!
Yields: 6 Servings

Ingredients

1 large bunch of leafy red kale
1 tablespoon Olive oil
sprinkle sea salt
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375. Wash and completely dry kale.
Pull the woody stems from the leaves and break up into bite-sized pieces into a bowl.
Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle some fine sea salt and the cayenne.
Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment, just one layer.
Bake at 375 for about 8 minutes. Take them out when they’re nice and crunchy and slide easily from the cookie sheet.

I tried one batch with 1/4 tsp of chinese five spice, it was good, but we both preferred the cayenne. Try with garlic powder next time.

ggskj1-small