Thursday, October 4, 2012

Carpets of Pine Needles

Can you believe it? Last night we were at the Bavarian Bierstube AGAIN! This time for Vashek's birthday. We had a great time as usual with lots of laughter and interesting conversation. Five of us shared a platter that included schnitzel, chicken, sausage, onion rings, potatoes, sauerkraut, cabbage rolls. All with a side of German Potato Salad. And washed down with dark German beer. Can you say full? It was yummy, but hopefully the end of feasting for a while as you'll note that not one of those items is on our Eat to Live plan...

20121003_vashek-birthday_004

20121003_vashek-birthday_006

I'm reading a book called "The China Study" which is linking animal protein consumption with cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and a number of other ailments. They are advocating that a plant based diet is the healthiest way. The interesting thing about this book is that they describe how the studies were done and what the results were at each step. There are page after page of scientific references. It isn't just some guy that did a study on 10 people, but is based on research done by dozens of researchers over twenty or more years.  We are on our way to eliminating animal protein from our diet (and have been for a few years), but we have far too many cheats of meats to be healthy.

20121002_riverside_014

20121001_riverside_011

The weather has been every which way - Tuesday was freezing and we needed the heater on all night. Yesterday I was in a sleeveless T-shirt and shorts. Last night we slept with the fan on instead of the heater. Today is cooler but cleared in the afternoon - t-shirt & shorts again. Tomorrow is supposed to be cold. And intermittently it has been cloudy with the threat of showers, only short periods of sun. A real mixed bag for sure. We have taken advantage of the weather to get out walking. The park is so beautiful this time of year, and I love the smells. Fallen leaves and carpets of pine needles. Ah the aroma. If only it could be captured for the dead of winter.

20121002_riverside_022

With all the inside reading time I've finished the second Kristen Lavransdatter book! There is still a paragraph from that book that I want to share. Now onto the third one - "The Cross". From the title I imagine it will be more weighty religious prose, but I will persevere as I believe some time is spent at Skjenna farm.

I’m generally a pretty tidy person and stuff lying around bugs me… except books. There is something about a pile of books on the coffee table, and a basket full on the ledge that makes me feel… hummm… I can’t think of the word, but I’ll bet other bookie people will know what I mean :–)

20121001_riverside_006

Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience. Knowing grass, I can appreciate persistence. Hal Borland

20121004_riverside_001

1 comment:

Merikay said...

I keep trying to make meatless meal choices one meal at a time. I'm not aiming to go vegan, or even vegetarian. Just cutting down most of the time. I would give up all meat if I was alone, but my husband likes all kinds of foods. He does eat the vegetarian meals if they are will planed and good, but will also request his favorite meat meals.