Thursday, April 11, 2013

From Snowy Island to Snowy Island

I watched the drama unfold in the side yard as the victorious robin protected his territory from any and all intruders. He seems to have staked out a puddle as the centre of his realm - I hope he realizes it will soon dry up!

Most of the snow is off the field, but enough remained for Kabira to go zooming from snowy island to snowy island, stretching her legs and having a seemingly joyous time. When she was finished she pranced over to me with joy in her step and happiness in her face. How wonderful to be so in the moment and so easy in her own skin. I have to remember to capture those feelings myself whenever I can.

With so much of the snow gone there is nothing but drab surroundings. Say what you may about snow, but it is a bright mantle over the dead ground. It is hard to imagine, but within a month the whole property will be a brilliant emerald green - so green it almost hurts the eyes. The birds will be actively nesting by then - mornings will be a cacophony of birdsong.

Ah yes, spring is on its way.

I've been slowly getting the trailer ready for its first outing (whenever that might be). So far I haven't added any food nor anything that might freeze, but I've been going through clothes and linens, dishes and cookware, paring down where needed. It is fun to play house! Yesterday Carm fixed a speaker that wasn't working (all trailers these days have surround sound!), and then we sat and listened to music while we talked about our upcoming trips. We can hardly wait! (but don't want to freeze so we'll hold off a bit yet).

I was listening to Grace chatter away and I realized that many of her phrases have the word 'girl' in them, for example 'what is it girl' , 'whatcha doing girl', 'good girl'. I thought about it for a moment and realized we often use the same term when talking to the dogs. Why is that? We don't talk to people like that - 'whatcha doing boy/man' would sound weird if I spoke it to Carm. So what's up with that girl (or boy)!

We were watching golf this afternoon (for those lucky people who don't know, it is 'Masters' weekend), and I couldn't help but notice the banks and banks of rhododendron and azaleas. They were beautiful and reminded me of my trip to England all those years ago (39 years!!!!) when we visited Wordsworth's house in the Lakes District. The trees were in bloom then too and even as a 12 year old they made an impression on me. I have only little snippets of memory from that trip, mainly picnicking beside some lake where we skipped stones. I remember thinking how unpopulated the area was - it wasn't difficult to find a spot with no homes in view. The strange (to me) thing is that there were few fences and the sheep roamed at will.

Lines Written in Early Spring
by William Wordsworth


I HEARD a thousand blended notes,
While in a grove I sate reclined,
In that sweet mood when pleasant thoughts
Bring sad thoughts to the mind.

To her fair works did Nature link
The human soul that through me ran;
And much it grieved my heart to think
What man has made of man.

Through primrose tufts, in that green bower,
The periwinkle trailed its wreaths;
And 'tis my faith that every flower
Enjoys the air it breathes.

The birds around me hopped and played,
Their thoughts I cannot measure:--
But the least motion which they made
It seemed a thrill of pleasure.

The budding twigs spread out their fan,
To catch the breezy air;
And I must think, do all I can,
That there was pleasure there.

If this belief from heaven be sent,
If such be Nature's holy plan,
Have I not reason to lament
What man has made of man?

No comments: