Tuesday, April 23, 2013

the earth has gladly received the embraces of the sun

Last night I had a dream that we were trailer shopping (again!). We'd seen our new camper and went to look at another one. The other one was a bit older and with a different layout - inside it was huge, with stairs to the basement, and other spacious features. It seemed like a casual cottage inside, not all dressed to the 9s that our current trailer is. I liked it - it was more my style... but I was torn and couldn't make a decision. I think that perhaps I am getting attached to the new camper. We haven't been out for a camp yet, but I've been spending time in it loading all the seasonal things. I'm always happier if I love where I live, but it is taking longer to have that bond.

I never felt a connection to our first trailer, but as soon as I stepped into our second one I loved it. We would still have that one if it were just a bit bigger - with 3 dogs and a parrot, it can seem like close quarters. So, here we are, new camper - still missing the old one.

I haven't always have a connection to my home. From the time I moved out of my parents house, until we built this house, I was unhappy with my living quarters. I moved from apartment to apartment trying to find a sense of home. When we found our land I knew I had found it. I love my home - the land and the house. We designed the house and it and fits us to a T. The main living space is 24x38' - a huge open space surrounded by acres of windows overlooking our land. When we situated the house on the land we were careful to position it facing south, with a tweak to the west. How could I not love it.



Windows are one of the most wonderful thing about this house. No matter where I stand I can see outside. Even my treadmill has its own window. My bathtub has a 5' wide picture window on the south, and another one the same size on the west. At the right time of day the sun shines right into the tub and reflects against the wall. I can see tree branches silhouetted against the blue sky. It is wonderful.



The kitchen also has two 5' picture windows on the north east corner. The sink is under them, and the counter where I do most of the meal prep - it is a miracle that I haven't cut off a finger as I'm always gawking out. The pond is just down the hill from the north window - today I watched a pair of mallards glide smoothly across the surface.

We had another beautiful spring day today. Oh bliss - summer is sure to come.


How simple it is to see that all the worry in the world cannot control the future. How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now. And that there will never be a time when it is not now.
Gerald Jampolsky, M.D. American Physician and Author


Behold, my friends, the spring is come; the earth has gladly received the embraces of the sun, and we shall soon see the results of their love!
Sitting Bull

No comments: