Monday, June 10, 2013

Holy Mosquito Batman!

You've probably guessed that we are safely back home - we got here Saturday afternoon. We must have been tired when we got here as we ended up in a shouting match as we were trying to back the trailer into the laneway. Oh well... it happens. The good thing is that once we got it safely parked all the anger and frustration disappeared and we were both happy again.

It seemed like there was a mountain of laundry to get through, and countless other tasks before we could finally relax. Of course now that we are home with the giant king sized bed (instead of the small queen bed), Spike has taken to sleeping on the floor again!



I was listening to Jennifer Warnes singing "Joan of Arc", written by Leonard Cohen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63D_Fru-vlo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you know Leonard Cohen at all you will know that this is a beautiful piece of poetry. I used to play this album (Famous Blue Raincoat) all those years ago when I was washing the bird room. It seems that everytime this song came on I'd be on my hands and knees, scrubbing the floor. My tears would soon mingle with the wash water as the lyrics touched my heart. Carm calls it dirge music and I guess he might be right. Good though.

"Well then fire, make your body cold, I'm gonna give you mine to hold,"
and saying this she climbed inside to be his one, to be his only bride.
Then deep into his fiery heart he took the dust of Joan of Arc,
and high above all these wedding guests
he hung the ashes of her lovely wedding dress. La...


Cleaning the birdroom was a weekly job that involved lots of water and much scrubbing. It was mindless work that left plenty of time for my mind to wander. Often I'd think about returning to Alberta, my heart home. Invariably I'd end the job depressed and teary. I guess I don't miss that part of having all the birds.



Speaking of birds - we are doing a few fix-ups of Grace's travel carrier. The long hours on the road gave her time to chew an opening almost big enough to get her head out... on Carm's side... he fears for his well-being!

Today I cleaned and vacuumed the truck (I'm getting a bit excited about our trip west). I got some other foam beds for the backseat to try and make it a bit more comfortable for the canines. They'll get to try it out for a short trip this week when we go to visit Ruth and John.

We also installed a "thing" for the back of the trailer that will hold the fence panels. I think it will work well, and will move the rattle to where we can't hear it. We do have a wireless backup camera on order so that we'll be able to see it, and whatever else is behind us.



Oh! We didn't miss the peonies :-) There are one or two that have burst forth, but the majority are still in tight balls. I anticipate bringing a giant bouquet on our next camping trip.





It is the chiefest point of happiness that a man is willing to be what he is.
Desiderius Erasmus

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

I think everyone has a few loud words now and then while reversing into a parking spot:)