Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Paradise Lost

We arrived at UCBS campground yesterday early afternoon. After a reasonably quick set up and a cold adult beverage, we set out to walk the dogs. You may remember from about a month ago that I waxed poetic about the beautiful walk... not so now... DEERFLIES up to ying yang. We had a few swarming us yesterday afternoon and figured hats would help us beat them away.

This morning Spike had me up at 7 - I think he wakes up early in anticipation of a walk when we are camping - little begger (change e to u). So I leashed everyone up, grabbed the poo bags and marched quickly past all the campsites to the rough area. Well, once we got there the deerflies swarmed us. There must have been at least 30 flying around us. The dogs were going crazy and I was slapping at my head and arms. I got bitten once and who knows how many times the dogs got bitten. It was NOT fun. We dashed out of there, and luckily I found a relatively fly free area for them to do their business (they weren't doing it with all those flies around).

I don't know what we can do to repel the deerflies from both humans and dogs. I don't know what we will do about walks. We won't come here again in the summer...

Yesterday it was really hot and humid, so I got a chance to use my induction burner. It is a little one burner unit that I pack away in a briefcase. I had it plugged in outside to keep some of the cooking heat out of the camper. I loved it! It is almost like cooking with gas, as it responds quickly to temperature changes.

I had thought about packing our little bbq for our Presquille trip, but now I'm not so sure. I think with the griddler and the induction burner we are covered for outdoor cooking and grilling. I have a list a mile long of extra things to bring for that trip, so if I can cross one thing off, that will be a good thing!

We brought Grace's "new", giant outdoor cage with us for the first time. We had forgotten that it is much taller than the one we used last time, which puts it above the level of the overhang of the 5th wheel part of the camper. I got out for the first turn to make sure we weren't going to hit - it looked like we'd be okay, but I craned my neck to see every other turn. It was a bit stressful, and not 100% sure that we'd never hit... we'll switch back to the mid-sized cage, which still gives her plenty of room.

“By having good memories on every place you just visit, you are building paradise in your own heart and your life.” ― Toba Beta

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Those flies are among my least favorite bugs:)