Monday, September 29, 2014

Who?

Our big exciting Saturday night had us cuddled up on the couch watching the final show from last season of Dr. Who. Carm had rummaged through the pvr and by a stroke of good luck it was there. As the music started, for a moment I was whisked away to our house in Kanata. I was in my late teens, and my little brothers would have just finished watching some silly children's program (all I can remember is that there was a forest). Cue the Dr. Who music… I would only watch if I was supremely bored, it was so hokey and silly. Fast forward to now - no longer hokey, and some pretty good stories (including the horrifying Stone Angels).

Since we were primed for meeting the new Doctor, we viewed the first episode this evening. It will take a while to get used to the new doctor, but I think I'm going to like him.

The fitbit has encouraged me to get out walking a bit more, although maybe it just got me out the first time, and after that I've rediscovered the peace and feeling of wellbeing that I get as I walk down my trail.

Sunday night Jo Ellen and Don came for supper - after our conversation about influential people, we got on the internet to look up our mentor's phone number - we were going to "drunk dial" him (not drunk, but you know what I mean). I'm sure I don't have to tell you that we were very disappointed when there was no answer! How would you feel if someone that worked for you called out of the blue to say what a good influence you had been? I think it would be okay, although surprising.

The late night left me craving bacon and eggs, so we drove into the village for a treat. It reminded me of those first years at work - we'd go down to the basement of our office tower to Hemingways for coffee every morning. Some would just have coffee, a few would have toast, and the rest of us would have the bacon and eggs. It was cheap, and I didn't have much money - for just a couple of bucks I'd have a meal that would last me past lunch - but boy, it sure wasn't a healthy way to eat every day. After all those hundreds of plates you would think I'd be sick of it - but no!

Milestone worth remembering (for me!): septic tank pumped out today. It should be good until 2024 - WTF!!! 2024! What an impossible date.

I managed to snag a bit more time on the swing. Dried leaves fell down on me as if the trees were weeping brown tears, lamenting the disappearance of the sun. The earth is slowly going to sleep - if I stare and let my mind go almost blank I can feel the trees around me storing their life force into their roots, readying themselves to come to life next spring.

Yup. And I always will be. But times change, and so must I... we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that's okay, that's good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me. ~Dr. Who (Matt Smith, just before he changes)

No comments: