Sunday, November 16, 2014

First Snow

A bright frosty morning greeted me yesterday so I bundled up and wandered around the field, happy to be outside for a while. The dogs raced around, perhaps to keep warm as the poodles have been recently clipped. Frosty grass brushing against my bare belly would have me running for the front step instead of in joyous circles.

The honking of the geese overhead caught my attention. Some were Canada Geese, but others flashed white against the sky. The sun glinted off their bright feathers making them look like whitecaps in a blue sea.

20141116_092627-property-snow

Instead of graceful snow geese this morning, there was just snow. Plain old yucky snow. Not much, but there was no denying it, we are entering winter.

I attended a baby shower for our 4th great niece/nephew yesterday. This one isn’t due to arrive until the middle of January but there were other cute little babies for people to gush over, as well as the regular games that are played at these sorts of gatherings and lots of sugary treats to follow the lovely lunch.

On our way home Carm and I stopped at the Brick to use up the $300 credit we got from not using the warranty on our washer and dryer. I had long forgotten about this windfall, but Carm was on point and remembered in time. I decided on a tall, dark and handsome dresser for our bathroom which I think will bring a touch of maturity – the one there now was rescued from the garbage almost 50 years ago. It lived in my parents garage for 20 years until I rescued again and stripped it of its peeling paint. It was with me in my first apartment and through numerous moves. No, it won’t need rescuing again as it has a forever home with me. I’ll find it a comfortable spot.

The grey skies and flurries of snow make me want to snuggle up under the blanket with the dogs, but first some more scrubbing – I think we are ready to crack open those paint cans tomorrow morning. I’m both excited and apprehensive – there is a mile of trim and too many weird little spots where even a tiny brush will have trouble fitting.

dogs-under-blanket

 

I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says "Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again. ~Lewis Carroll

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

It is about the right time of year for the snow to start coming down.