Wednesday, November 12, 2014

I compare myself

Sewing, sorting, packing have been on the agenda for the past few days, although not at the pace of the previous few weeks. In fact, I’ve been having to force myself to get things done, breaking tasks into small parts and tackling one tiny action at a time with breaks in-between. My theory is that the previous week or two of hypo-manic flurry crashes into x days of depressed recovery. I hope the recovery is over soon as those 12 gallons of paint are freaking me out!

The other thing I’ve been doing is searching for project management, task or event software that can help me set up what needs to be done and when (and if it could magically do all the work, that would be even better!). I’ve had some luck, but the app that does it all is maybe a bit complicated as it does do it all. My mind has been a bit muddled which makes it a harder to figure out a strategy… it is possible that I’m trying to get too fancy.

I did manage to get the poodles clipped which is a galactic job, so I guess I’m not doing so badly after all ;-)

I might use this quote again when I post “Who am I anyway” which is this weeks topic. I’ve read this book and highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning about a serious case of bipolar disorder – my life is not nearly as complicated as hers.

I’m behind a week in posting WYL so tomorrow I’ll post “giving advice” which was the hardest to write so far. (hummm… notice a trend? I think the week before was the hardest – these topics call for much introspection!).

 

I compare myself with my former self, not with others. Not only that, I tend to compare my current self with the best I have been, which is when I have been mildly manic. When I am my present "normal" self, I am far removed from when I have been my liveliest, most productive, most intense, most outgoing and effervescent. In sort, for myself, I am a hard act to follow. ~Kay Redfield Jamison, An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness

No comments: