Wednesday, February 18, 2015

What! You too?

Quiet descended on our house around noon. After so much congenial conversation the house seemed empty and abandoned, Bella, our poodle, was bereft with her petter gone. I had a nap.

20150217_214450-vince-visit

Last night was great fun. While I was cooking supper (gnocchi w mushroom sauce), Vince face-timed his cousin Carmelo in New Orleans to ask a few questions about the wine we were having with supper. Carmelo is a chef and owns one (or more?) well known restaurants in the Big Easy but he was generous with his time. While I was cooking the mushroom sauce I got a private cooking lesson! Pats of butter were added (more! more!), and some was rolled into a ball, then rolled around in flour to make a roué. The sauce turned out great ;-) And the wine was a treat.

Carm had a wonderful time getting to know his cousin and while it seemed at times that I was in the middle of two brain dumps, I enjoyed watching them get on together. There was no fear that there'd be nothing to say... both men are intelligent and remember absolutely every detail about everything - I wish I had 1/2 as good a memory. Vince is a pipeline inspector and has a broad knowledge about erosion, animal species preservation, plant life, to name just a few of his specialties. We hope that he visits again :-)

Yesterday we had talked about a short snow shoe this morning, as it turned out we were all a bit bleary eyed from the late night (I know I was), but we had the ready excuse that it was -28C with the wind-chill.

 

Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . ." ~C.S. Lewis

No comments: