Friday, July 17, 2015

Thrill of the Bargain

The thrill of the bargain is often more exciting than the find itself.

Last Sunday we went to the fleamarket for a poke around - I wasn't looking for anything in particular, it was just an outing meant only for a change in scenery. With no small amount of luck my eyes spied a fancy tablecloth - cream cotton with cut-out spaces embroidered on the edges - there were some faint stains that I thought might scrub out, but otherwise in good condition. I scooped it up from the cluttered table and took it to the vendor to ask the price. Two dollars! Worth the risk! And as it turns out the stains did wash out and I have a perfectly good tablecloth for only two dollars.

DSCN9051.jpg

Thursday Carm had to take the truck in for some work so I jumped in the car and drove to Liquidation. I found 3 skorts for five dollars each! I had hoped to get something along that line but finding what you want is a crap shoot there. They get returns and overstocks from Costco, Land's End, and a few other retailers so I never know what will be there. All the clothes are 50% off, even ones that have already been reduced. Sometimes they have special sales, like pants/jeans 3/$30. I was a happy camper leaving the building with my finds.

I never knew the rush of pleasure that a cheap find would give until I visited the flea market with Trudie a few years ago. With a pocket of change I emerged from the labyrinth of junk with a few treasures. I was hooked!

Wednesday was a special day for us: 26th wedding anniversary. We went into the city for supper and talked about our love. No cards or gifts (we gave those up years ago), instead we reminisced about when we first met and how our relationship has grown and strengthened. It is all quite sappy.

I'm still struggling with my mood, which is a drag. I feel guilty for being so trivial when others that I know have real problems - what right do I have to be miserable. Having a disease of the mind is a conundrum. I can't just talk myself into having a good attitude - there are brain chemicals thwarting me, making me anxious, unworthy and desolate for no real reason. Shameful. What I really mean to say is that I am sending good vibes to a few people that I know and care very much about.

It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light. ~Aristotle Onassis

No comments: